The Ars Magica Frequently Asked Questions
These pages are dedicated to the roleplaying game known as Ars
Magica, currently published by Atlas
Games. They are intended to provide answers to common questions
concerning its setting, rules, play and community. The collection of
information contained in this document has grown rather extensive, so if
you are just getting yourself up to speed before joining
one of the mailing lists, you might want to
start by reading the sections on the most
frequently asked questions for the current
Questions are collected from the
Ars Magica mailing list(s) and from the
discussion forums. I try to keep on top of what questions are being
asked at a given time and also to synthesize the gist of the
answers being provided. You can make my job easier by
submitting questions and (especially) answers.
You'll be given credit for answers you write, and who knows, you may
even become famous.
- December 15, 2007:
- November 11, 2007:
- Updated the Publications FAQ to show Sub Rosa as the new English fanzine;
Hermes' Portal is now out of print.
- Updated location of Patrick Murphy's downloadable character sheet on the
rules page. Thanks to the Mad Irishman for letting me know!
- February 4, 2007:
- November 15, 2006:
Started cleaning up the broken and outdated links. Many
are fixed, many still remain.
- March 13, 2006:
- Added "What is the difference
between Fourth and Fifth Edition?". Updated the entries
and casting from text.
- October 19, 2005:
Are pagan gods Magical or Faerie?
How does multiple casting
Updated Can I write for Ars Magica?.
Updated and re-organized the information on
Changed formatting of "what's new?" section so it looks
worse on my PC but better on my handheld. :-)
- June 5, 2005:
Re-organized a little. Added
I Need an Official Ruling on (X).
question on Faerie Magic and revised
the Tremere vampire
and White Wolf Storyteller (World of
Finally added mention of the
Official Ars Magica Discussion Forum.
Cleaned up numerous, egregious HTML errors on the index page: if
the FAQ has been looking funny in your browser, it should be
- April 6, 2005:
- Updated information about
Table of Contents
If you're looking for something specific, check out the (fairly)
- What is Ars Magica?
- Introduction to Ars Magica
- A role-playing game
- No "real magic"
- Mythic Europe
- Superb magic system
- Troupe-style play
- Frequently Asked Questions for Fifth Edition
- About the Rules
- Rule Status Questions
- Characters, Abilities,
Virtues and Flaws
- Spells and Spellcasting
- Magic Resistance and Parma Magica
- Laboratory Work
- Books, Study, and Experience
- About the Setting
- What is the Medieval
- What is this about Tremere and
- "How do I say (something) in
- In Ars Magica, are the pagan gods
Magical, Faerie, or what?
- About the community
- "Can I write an entry for this
- "How many people make up the Ars
- "How can I find a troupe to
- "How is Ars Magica related to
White Wolf's Storyteller system (World of Darkness setting)
- About the line
- What is the release schedule for
Ars Magica supplements?
- Are the older Tribunal
books still useful?
- Where can I find older (Fourth
Edition and earlier) supplements that are now out of
- Will Atlas make available free
downloads with conversion stats for older supplements to Fifth
- "Why do some of the newer supplements have hard covers?"
- "Is there a d20 conversion for Ars Magica?"
- "Can I write a supplement for Ars Magica?"
- "Which book(s) should I buy?"
- "Who is the current line developer?"
- Questions for Fourth Edition and Older
- About the Fourth Edition rules
- "How does the Parma Magica work?"
- "Is Perdo Imáginem too easy?"
- "How do I use Range, Duration, and Target?"
- Can my wizard create ritual spell to lift an entire mountain five hundred feet into the air permanently? If so, what level would it be?
- Can a magus create a golem and switch minds with it and thus escape old age?
- Is ice part of Aquam, or what?
- "Is combat busted?"
- A sample combat
- "What are the differences between editions?"
- About the setting
- "What will Mythic Europe look
like in the future?"
- "Are the Jews/Moslems/Pagans
- "Why don't magi use magic to make
- "Who is tougher, magi or
- "What is True Reason?"
- Where can I find more information about Ars Magica?
- Mailing Lists
- General mailing list information
- Common mailing list abbreviations and jargon
- The ArM Code
- The Official Discussion Forum
- The Redcap: News from the Order of Hermes
- Ars Mag
- Mythic Perspectives
- Hermes' Portal
- Other articles
- Suggested reading
- Introductory histories
- Regional histories
- Intellectual histories
- Social and economic histories
- History of magic
- Military histories
- Medieval literature
- Other RPGs
- History of Ars Magica
- A History of Ars Magica
- Lion Rampant
- Atlas Games (old-school)
- White Wolf
- Wizards of the Coast
- Atlas Games (Fourth & Fifth Editions)
- Product List
Contributors: David Anderson, Shannon Appel, Joshua Badgley, David Cake, David Chart, Erik Dahl, Jérôme Darmont, Michaël de Verteuil, Timothy Ferguson, Jeremiah Genest, Andrew Gronosky, Eric Grove-Stephensen, Chris Hansen, Kevin R. Hardwick, George Heintzelman, Peter Hentges, Lucy Hewitt, Chad Hooper,
Leif Olav Jøsang, John Kasab, Stuart Kenny, Ian Klinck, Eric Kouris, Lydia Leong, Precoz Liar, Alon Lichinski, Frank Lohmann, Adam Mosley, Jamieson Norrish, Tim O'Brien, Eric Pommer, Jérémy Provost, Wade Racine, Max Rible, Roderick Robertson, Matt Ryan, Steve Saunders, Steve Schonberger, Elliot Smorodinsky, Daniel C. Sobral, Neil Taylor, Sheila Thomas, Erik Tyrrell, Robbie Westmoreland, Alex White, Andy Young. Special thanks to:
David Chart, John Nephew, and Wade Racine.
This FAQ is administered by Andrew Gronosky. Please send questions,
additions or comments to